During the early interchange with the Chinese, Mona was once an uninhabited portion of land at the mouth of Tagoong (Alaminos) River, almost engulfing the Tambac Bay area. Barter trade was then prevalent in the country.
Those were the time when couple traders “Lolo Ramon” and “Lola Ramona,” who originated from Vigan, llocos Sur, happened to be drifted by strong easterly wind and landed on the shores of this pepole-barren area and settled there. All their wares together with their vinta (a kind of sailboat) were then lost to the sea.
By the late 1800, the Barangay was then merged with Barangays Baleyadaan and Cayucay, represented by a single tinyente del barrio. As a sitio, the people then live in peace and harmony, earning a living by fishing and agriculture. When Lolo Ramon and Lola Ramona passed away, the Barangay was then named in honor of them, and came to be known as Sitio Mona.
In 1968 the people of Sitio Mona rallied for their independence and represented themselves with an appointed kapitan del barrio. After the proclamation of Martial Law by then President Ferdinand E. Marcos, this Barangay was then recognized as Barangay Mona. Barangay Mona was officially endorsed in 1970 and on that same year, an elementary school was constructed and the first batch of pupils were enrolled.
Barangay Captain: Ernesto Calpo
Distance and direction from downtown:
No. of Households: